[Library Media] More about the News

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org
Fri Dec 2 13:18:18 MST 2016

Its interesting that the Chicago Standard Examiner decided to use that
particular picture in the article.  Those gentlemen were the subject of
this article posted just a few days earlier:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/for-the-new-yellow-journalists-
opportunity-comes-in-clicks-and-bucks/2016/11/20/d58d036c-
adbf-11e6-8b45-f8e493f06fcd_story.html

There has to be some way that we can capitalize on this issue.  Is this
something that we address district by district, go to the Board of
Education, take it to our legislators?  I feel like we need to ave some
kind of plan to use these articles and statistics to show the powers that
be why our job is important.  Is this a UELMA Board issue to pursue?  a
School Library PALS place to start?  I must admit I am pretty lame when it
comes to political activism, but I take directions well if someone can tell
me where to start.

Cindy Mitchell

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Karen Draper <kdraper at wsd.net> wrote:

> I was sent this article today.
>
> http://www.standard.net/National-Commentary/2016/12/01/Fakenews-education-
> medialiteracy-children-teachers-democracy-column-Cepeda.html

Cindy Mitchell
South Jordan Middle School
10245 S 2700 W
South Jordan UT 84095