[Library Media] Resources to support youth in the post-election climate

Danae Leu dleu at dsdmail.net
Thu Nov 17 09:07:53 MST 2016

I'm not afraid, and of course my administration knows that CNN is a reliable news source. I was not the one who showed the clip, it was shown as part of the 6th grade curriculum.

My concern is that we are now at a time when people are choosing the facts they wish to believe and dismissing valid journalism at too partisan. I do think it is imperative that we teach the danger of siloizing our information. But I'm not sure at which grade these concepts are cognitively appropriate.  I begin teaching the CRAAP test and reliable sources in fourth grade. This past election is ripe with examples of false information but I'm wondering if using it would feel like an "attack" from the "teacher's union". I'm being somewhat hyperbolic, but the ground for truth feels a bit unstable at the moment.

DaNae Leu

Librariest

Snow Horse Elementary

“Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.”   ― Stephen King<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3389.Stephen_King>

Currently Reading<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[Book Cover] <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
[Goodreads Logo] <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature> Get your own email signature<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>