[Library Media] Resources to support youth in the post-election climate

Danae Leu dleu at dsdmail.net
Wed Nov 16 15:16:28 MST 2016

So here is what I've been struggling with in relation to this election and our position as the champion of seeking valid sources. How do we go about addressing the the unfathomable amount of misinformation that was put forth as fact and news on social media? How do we help this next generation understand what it means to source information? How do we do without being partisan? As part of 6th grade curriculum our classes viewed a news clip, and a parent wrote in outraged that her daughter was shown something from the Clinton News Network (CNN) and blamed the teacher's union for promoting the "liberal" media. When we can't point to legitimate journalism as a valid source how do we teach our students about sorting fact from biased memes? When the person who is to head our country blames the coverage, not his actions, every time he gets bad press. How do we talk about "what a valid source is?" We need lesson plans that can do this without igniting our school's switchboards.

DaNae Leu

Librariest

Snow Horse Elementary

“Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.”   ― Stephen King<https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3389.Stephen_King>

Currently Reading<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[Book Cover] <https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/1002421?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
[Goodreads Logo] <https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature> Get your own email signature<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>