[Library Media] Fwd: Suggestion for Native American Month Display

Katelyn Ballif katelyn.ballif at ccsdut.org
Mon Nov 7 16:37:55 MST 2016

Joseph,

I wondered about that the other year too when I was creating a research
project for my 4th grade students.  On the Utah History site
http://ilovehistory.utah.gov/people/first_peoples/tribes/index.html it uses
the term American Indian and I also came across this article American
Indians vs. Native Americans: A note on terminology
<http://www.learnnc.org/lp/editions/nc-american-indians/5526>  it helped me
decided to use American Indian for the broad topic.  I would hope if this
term ever bothered anyone they would discuss their feelings and preference
with me.

I am guessing Juan wanted us to all think about including the tribal names
and not just the broad term if we were planning on making displays this
month.  Any elementary librarian in Utah would probably want to highlight
the five tribes mentioned on I Love History and
https://utahindians.org/Curriculum/ -the Goshute, Navajo, Paiute, Shoshone,
and Ute- since 4th grade is focused on Utah's history and natural
resources. Or because of Thanksgiving some information about the Wampanoag
would be especially fun for a display.

I hope this helps.

Katelyn Ballif
Sunrise Elementary Librarian