[Library Media] Changing title to get our job done?

Brian Ferguson bferguson at dsdmail.net
Tue May 17 12:48:33 MDT 2016

Amy –

Thank you for the links. I read both articles and many of the comments. I have to say I find myself agreeing with Buffy Hamilton (The Unquiet Library).

I once heard a speaker say, “The reason Union Pacific Railroad isn’t Union Pacific Airline is because they sold train rides instead of transportation.”

I believe “librarian” as a job title is broader and has more vision than any job title containing the word “technology.” Nowadays “technology” has come to mean computers, the internet, and phones (which have become small computers). These tools can play an important role in education. The thing is, I don’t know a single school librarian who isn’t already using these tools with teachers and students. On the other hand, it would be fun to see how many of our district “technology” people could properly shelve a non-fiction book (let alone catalog it!).

Librarians have always mastered and taught the world how to use technology. From the scrolls of Alexandria and the codices of Rome, to the classroom televisions and VCRs, to the connected classrooms of today, the school librarian has always used the latest tools to teach the students (and other teachers). This is because technology is used to store and communicate information -- and teaching  students how to find, use and evaluate information is what school librarians DO (and have always done).

Put simply, the librarian can use a computer, but a technologist may or may not know how to use a book.

The public, the politicians, and school administrators may not understand all we do. That is an ongoing PR problem we need to work on. But WE KNOW What We Do! We are teachers first, and here are the standards we teach. http://www.ala.org/aasl/standards/learning . Technology is just one aspect of our complex job.

   Brian Ferguson
South Davis Jr. High
Teacher Librarian