[Library Media] School Library Policy and Procedures Manual - Please share!

Sarah Herron Sarah.Herron at slcschools.org
Mon May 16 16:25:48 MDT 2016

A request from Juan Lee, at the Utah State Library Division:

"I am working with the Ute Tribe to develop their library. The library is housed in the Uintah River High School in Ft. Duchesne and it has a dual mission of school library and community (i.e. public) library. However, their focus right now is to make it a more effective library for the High School.

I have met with the Director of the Education Department of the Tribe, with the librarian, and the Principal, and they have been enthusiastic about making the library and the librarian integral part of school life. I admit school librarianship is not my strength, so I will seek your guidance along the road.

For now, I need to know if school libraries or school media centers have a "policy and procedures" manual. I know how these work in a public library, but for school libraries I am lost. Do you have an example I can look at? If not, any chance you could ask colleagues around the state working in High Schools to see if they have a good manual I can look at?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Juan

Juan Tomás Lee, Library Consultant