[Library Media] Glory redux

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org
Thu May 7 08:58:11 MDT 2015

I talked to Karrie Russell who is the Copyright expert at the ALA
Washington Office this morning.

She says that we are well within our rights to transfer our PG versions of
Glory to a DVD format because of the following provision in copyright law:

U.S. Copyright - 108(c) The right of reproduction under this section
applies to three copies or phonorecords of a published work duplicated
solely for the purpose of replacement of a copy or phonorecord that is
damaged, deteriorating, lost, or stolen, or if the existing format in which
the work is stored has become obsolete, if— (1) the library or archives
has, after a reasonable effort, determined that an unused replacement
cannot be obtained at a fair price; and (2) any such copy or phonorecord
that is reproduced in digital format is not made available to the public in
that format outside the premises of the library or archives in lawful
possession of such copy. For purposes of this subsection, a format shall be
considered obsolete if the machine or device necessary to render
perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no
longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace.

We have done our due diligence in attempting to find replacement copies at
reasonable prices in a current format.  So, if you can find a way to
transfer your VHS to DVD, then feel free to do it - up to three copies for
each VHS that you own.

Cindy
--
Cindy Mitchell