[Library Media] FWD: Simon & Schuster launches free library ebook offer -- Public & School Libraries

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Wed Apr 8 11:21:54 MDT 2015

*​Subject: **TODAY: Simon & Schuster launches free library ebook offer*
*Date: *April 8, 2015 at 11:30:35 AM EDT

Hello everyone,
​​

I'm writing to share news that Simon & Schuster today announced that it
will donate a free ebook copy of Brian Grazer's new book, "A Curious Mind:
The Secret to a Bigger Life" to libraries for every ebook or hardcover book
sold at retail (see the full American Library Association statement below).
The ebooks will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis to the
first 5,000 libraries that sign up. More details:

Simon & Schuster and producer/author Brian Grazer launch free ebook offer

Publisher Simon & Schuster announced it would donate a free ebook copy of
Academy Award-winning producer Brian Grazer's new book, "A Curious Mind:
The Secret to a Bigger Life" (coauthored by journalist Charles Fishman), to
school and public libraries for every ebook or hardcover book sold at
retail, up to 5,000 copies. The book and the promotion launch April 8, and
the promotion will continue through National Library Week (April 12-18).
Read more on the ebook offer:
http://www2.overdrive.com/l/28502/2015-04-03/2sjy3c.

After a series of pilot tests beginning in 2013, Simon & Schuster came
fully into the library ebook market in 2014 and now is making a creative
initiative to expand its presence.

"From our first conversations with publishers, we have worked to find
win-win opportunities for readers, authors, libraries, and publishers-and
this is a wonderful way to engage and explore together the 'Unlimited
Possibilities' theme of National Library Week," said American Library
Association (ALA) President Courtney L. Young. "Library lending promotes
literacy, creativity, and innovation-feeding curious minds and driving
lifelong reading habits. I am excited to celebrate these shared values and
National Library Week with Brian Grazer and Simon & Schuster."

"A Curious Mind" provides a peek into the weekly "curiosity conversations"
that have inspired Grazer to create some of America's favorite, iconic
movies and television shows-including 24 and A Beautiful Mind. From
scientists to spies, adventurers, and business leaders, Grazer has met with
anyone willing to answer his questions for a few hours. The book is an
homage to the power of inquisitiveness and the ways in which it deepens and
improves us.

"It sounds a lot like a day spent in a library!" said Carolyn Anthony,
cochair of the ALA Digital Content Working Group (DCWG) and director of the
Skokie (Ill.) Public Library. "Today your library card also unlocks a
digital wealth of ebooks, streaming audio and video, magazine and newspaper
subscriptions, language learning, and research resources."

"It should be no secret that your digital public, school, or
college/university library are open to you online whenever-and
wherever-you're curious about something," said Erika Linke, cochair of the
DCWG and associate dean of university libraries at Carnegie Mellon
University.

Grazer agrees: "People of all ages can expand their world-and possibly
change the world-by exploring their curiosity. There's no better place to
learn more about anything that interests you than a library."

The ebook will be given away under the standard one-year license from Simon
& Schuster. The ebooks will be distributed on a first-come, first-served
basis to the first 5,000 libraries that sign up. If fewer than 5,000
libraries register, multiple copies will be made available to the
participating libraries. OverDrive will administer the distribution through
its site for library clients, which also includes this further commentary
from Grazer:

"When I was a kid, my mind would wander. That's why I always loved the
library at Riverside Elementary. In the classroom, I had to keep my eyes on
the board and follow along, but in the library, I could explore, picking up
whatever book caught my eye. Even when I was no longer a daydreaming little
boy, I continued to follow my innate curiosity and ultimately became a film
producer and, now, an author. In my book, A Curious Mind, I write about how
my restless, inquisitive nature led me to produce films about mermaids
(Splash), rappers (8 Mile), and space exploration (Apollo 13).

"It thrills me to think that with this ebook donation program, my book
might now appear in library collections alongside the classics that
inspired my childhood imagination. Libraries are the safe place for
dreamers of all ages to learn more about whatever piques their interest. I
hope their curiosity leads them to my book, but if instead they discover a
book about mermaids, or rappers, or something else that inspires them, then
mission accomplished."

Indeed, curiosity is a kissing cousin to the serendipity that library
lending enables at every moment-in which one exploration opens the door to
another new and unexpected discovery. ALA looks forward to its continuing
dialogue with Simon & Schuster and other publishers to evolve the library
ebook market in mutually beneficial ways. ALA continues its efforts on
improving the terms for ebook lending and accommodations for archiving and
preservation, people with disabilities, and privacy, among other issues.

Sponsored by the ALA and libraries across the country each April, National
Library Week is a time to celebrate the contributions of our nation's
libraries and librarians and to promote library use and support. All types
of libraries-school, public, academic, and special-participate. Learn more
about one of our nation's most important resources at ilovelibraries.org.

Warm regards,

Jazzy Wright
Press Officer
American Library Association, Washington Office
(202) 628-8410, ext. 8208 (Office)
(202) 870-7730 (Cell)
jwright at alawash.org
www.districtdispatch.org