[Library Media] [UCE] RE: One of ours?

Tiffany Hall Tiffany.Hall at slcschools.org
Mon Jan 5 09:08:58 MST 2015

In June, 2013, the Utah Core Standards were revised and teaching handwriting—manuscript and cursive—was formally placed in the Standards for grades K-5. In Appendix A, there is a section on the research base that was considered when this decision was made. This revision was made after a year of committee study, public comment, and State Board approval.

Subsequently, there was a course developed by USOE and UEN that is offered online to support teachers in learning how to teach handwriting if that was not something they learned in their teacher education programs.

Teaching handwriting, beginning with manuscript and moving into cursive, is recognized as a critical component of teaching and learning in the Utah Core Standards.