[Library Media] Sound familiar?

georgeweight at integrity.com georgeweight at integrity.com
Sun Dec 7 06:24:33 MST 2014

Well said to all.

Another personal note: if I'd been taught research skills as well as I was
the love of good literature, I may not have had to wait until my Master's
Degree to learn how to think critically through the research process
properly. Both my high school and Freshman English research papers were a
disaster!

Those were taught more as a project rather than a process.

Keep up the good work. GLW

> [...]
> creating new knowledge.
>
> I've taught research strategies and methodologies for most of my career,
> on
> both the college and high school levels, and every year I become more
> convinced that it is not a one person job and can not be done in
> isolation.
> Everything we teach needs to be done in close collaboration with the
> classroom teacher, imbedded in their curriculum. Information literacy
> skills do not stand on their own, they are an integral part of each
> academic discipline and should be taught within those contexts. Kids don't
> care about the Dewey Decimal system, until they are taught how to use it
> help them find whatever it is they are looking for. And they certainly
> don't care about research, until we help them catch the vision of how
> using
> the tools we provide them with, will help them be successful.
>
> We are the experts and need to share our expertise by modeling for those
> teachers and students we work with.
>
> Thanks for sharing this critical discussion. No matter how difficult it
> is,
> we can not give up trying to find ways to work with our teaching faculty;
> helping them see the value we bring to the table, and how we can help ease
> their teaching burdens, if they will just let us [?]
>
> Happy weekend [?]
>
> ~lanell rabner
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Fawn Morgan <fawnbmorgan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Michelle
>>
>> I love this approach. Questioning, I have always felt, was the key to
>> excellent research. Turning an essential question into a thesis after
>> doing
>> background research, and then doing more research to support the thesis
>> produces excellent results. This was the process I used whenever I could
>> convince the teacher. As Marilyn states, jumping to the thesis and
>> skipping
>> the background research is easier and quicker, but doesn't develop those
>> critical thinking skills.
>>
>> Fawn
>>
>> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Michelle Melville <
>> Michelle.Melville at slcschools.org> wrote:
>>
>>>  Thank you Joanne for sharing this article!
>>>

>>> In regards to the following quote:
>>>
>>> *Discovery is not the problem – it’s knowing how to evaluate,
>>> analyze,
>>> and synthesize*
>>>
>>> *The sources students use in their papers are generally found to be
>>> acceptable by their professors, who point out that students have more
>>> trouble with writing, critical thinking, argument, and synthesis
>>> (Dimmock
>>> 2013, 12).*
>>>
>>> I have been having ongoing discussions with the LA dept. chair at WHS
>>> regarding setting up the research process to improve questioning and
>>> critical thinking, not just research regurgitation.  Here is my
>>> for what they are worth!  Too often students are asked to choose a