[Library Media] Sound familiar?

Lanell Rabner lanell.rabner at nebo.edu
Fri Dec 5 16:37:15 MST 2014

Having just completed six weeks of non-stop research instruction to our
entire Junior class, in both English and US History, I can't emphasize
enough the importance of getting teachers on board with not only supporting
the art of questioning, but also a willingness to become their own expert
in questioning, note taking, using text features to read informational
texts, paraphrasing and summarizing, and parenthetical documentation. It is
a true collaborative effort between the classroom teacher and librarian to
help students overcome their fear of the whole research process, along with
identifying keywords, crafting researchable questions, making claims,
finding quality evidence that answers their claims, and then writing a
critically thought out warrant for each claim. And then there is the hard
stuff - the synthesis and analysis - moving from merely reporting to
creating new knowledge.

I've taught research strategies and methodologies for most of my career, on
both the college and high school levels, and every year I become more
convinced that it is not a one person job and can not be done in isolation.
Everything we teach needs to be done in close collaboration with the
classroom teacher, imbedded in their curriculum. Information literacy
skills do not stand on their own, they are an integral part of each
academic discipline and should be taught within those contexts. Kids don't
care about the Dewey Decimal system, until they are taught how to use it to
help them find whatever it is they are looking for. And they certainly
don't care about research, until we help them catch the vision of how using
the tools we provide them with, will help them be successful.

We are the experts and need to share our expertise by modeling for those
teachers and students we work with.

Thanks for sharing this critical discussion. No matter how difficult it is,
we can not give up trying to find ways to work with our teaching faculty;
helping them see the value we bring to the table, and how we can help ease
their teaching burdens, if they will just let us [?]

Happy weekend [?]

~lanell rabner