[Library Media] Philadelphia Libraries opinion article

georgeweight at integrity.com georgeweight at integrity.com
Wed Dec 3 20:46:31 MST 2014

I began my experience with libraries as a child. Mom would take us
periodically to the old Springville library on main street for story time
and to check out books. In 5th grade, I was given a copy of "Huckleberry
Finn" at afternoon recess and spent the rest of the afternoon reading it,
undisturbed by my teacher.  My 7th grade English teacher was also the
librarian 1/1 day, and we held class in her library surrounded by good
books to read. By the time I was a senior in high school, my librarian had
led me into the Yale set of Shakespeare's works, and I read many of them.
Some of you know that I went from there to being a school librarian
myself, eventually serving on UELMA's Board with one year as president.
Those years, several of us were heavily involved in trying to preserve the
integrity of the profession with the State Legislature and a number of
local school boards.
That was not done for me, it was done for the students. I wanted them to
have the same experiences with libraries and librarians that I have had.
Though retired, I still value the role of librarians in our schools. I
have an appreciation for the changing nature of the profession as impacted
by technology. But the basic need for libraries and librarians, as Luann
has outlined, remains the same.