[Library Media] Reading

Fawn Morgan fawnbmorgan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:40:03 MST 2014

I'm supposed to be cleaning my house for Thanksgiving so this message is
clearly an avoidance behavior.

Just finished reading *The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our
Brains* by Carr and am looking forward to reading *Raising Readers in an
Age of Distraction* by Willingham (due out in March) and *Mind Change: How
Digital Technologies Are Leaving Their Marks on Our Brains by Greenfield*
(due out in January).

What I learned applies to how we teach information literacy and promote
reading. The implications to testing are big as well. Both sets of reading
are important, but the author contends with well-documented research that
using one exclusively transforms the brain detrimentally, at least in the
short term. There is some hope that given *generations*, the brain can
adapt, however.

Digital - online, hypertext linked, connected formats

   - mental coordination
   - analysis of data
   - decoding information, decision making
   - fast-paced problem solving,
   - tasks accommodated: skimming, power browse

Books - printed, linear, stand-alone hard copy formats

   - interpreting, comprehending
   - deep reading, deep thinking, concentration
   - language, memory, visual processing
   - making connections, creating new knowledge
   - tasks accommodated: reading with sustained attention

Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for books.

Fawn