[Library Media] Author Visits thru Google Hangout

Cindy Mitchell cindy.mitchell at jordandistrict.org
Thu Nov 13 15:08:27 MST 2014

I received permission from the publisher to share this info with all of you
-

If you have time tomorrow around 2pm EST, hop on Google Hangout
<https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c10o507glb7tsvtgn7sidntou64> and catch
a live author discussion! Eric Devine <http://ericdevine.org/> (PRESS PLAY,
DARE ME, TAP OUT) and Kevin Waltman <http://kevinwaltman.com/> (NEXT,
SLUMP) both explore the lives of high school guys who are athletes, a
surprisingly rare type of protagonist in YA fiction. Interview them
yourselves by hopping on twitter during that time and asking them questions
using the hashtag #pandulce. Or catch the conversation later on Cinco
Puntos Press’s youtube page.
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp3hNXmZ19simfRgJo3Qfyw>

Pan Dulce is a new web series run by Cinco Puntos Press. Here’s what they
have to say about it:

(November 4, 2014)—Cinco Puntos is proud to announce its new web series:

*Pan Dulce*. Th­e monthly series will pair writers from two different indie
presses in a lively discussion of their lives, loves, books and favorite
sweet breads (or preferred low-carbohydrate equivalents).

The ongoing national discussion about the lack of diversity in publishing
inspired Cinco Puntos to start the Pan Dulce series. *National Public Radio*
, *Th­e New York Times,* *CNN* and other media outlets have all reported
extensively about the gap between the demographics of the United States and
the demographics of its books. While the reporting has brought attention to
an important issue, it consistently fails to discuss the two most important
developments of the story.

*First*: diversity is happening in publishing, but mostly at the small
press level. According to a Cinco Puntos analysis ofresearch conducted by
the Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC), about half of the books that
the center counted as diverse in 2013 were published by indie publishing
companies. As National Book Award Winner Sherman Alexie puts it, “We see it
time and time again: Innovation comes from the small press world.”

*Second*: that innovation leads to some really great books. Indie presses
are publishing books that reflect thedemographics of the United States. And
many of these books are wonderful. Cinco Puntos knows this because we
published a lot of these books. And we know that colleagues at other
independent presses are doing the same. We choose not to stare at a void,
but to foster a nascent literature. And with Pan Dulce, we hope to share
that literature with other readers.

We are proud to partner with other indie presses like Groundwood Books,
Curbside Splendor, Akashic Books, Running Press and more to present Pan
Dulce. ­The first four months of Pan Dulce conversations will feature these
authors:

*November 14, 2014*

*Eric Devine*, author of* Press Play*

*Kevin Waltman, *author of* Slump*

*December 16, 2014*

*Erika T. Wurth*, author of* Crazy Horse’s Girlfriend*

*Isabel Quintero*, author of* Gabi, A Girl in Pieces*

*January 9, 2015*

*Eric Gamalinda*, author of* The Descartes Highlands*

*Désirée Zamorano*, author of* The Amado Women*

*February 1, 2015 *(live from the American Library Association midwinter
conference)

*Pat Mora*, author of* Bravo, Chico, Canta! Bravo!*

*Claudia Guadalupe Martinez*, author of* Pig Park*

Yummy! Th­at’s a delicious line-up of authors. We invite readers to take a
coffee break with Cinco Puntos and its friends. Grab some coffee and a
snack, dial up our *Youtube page* and talk books with us. Send questions
and comments to the

authors via the #pandulce hashtag on twitter. Each conversation will be
archived on Youtube and available after the live broadcast.

All Pan Dulce broadcasts begin at 12 El Paso Standard Time (11 am PST; 1 pm
CST; 2 pm EST;) and last about 20 minutes. Long enough to enjoy your coffee
and snack.

 *Contact Jessica Powers at **jessicapowers at cincopuntos.com*
<jessicapowers at cincopuntos.com>* for more info.*

--