[Library Media] The Second Age of Reason

Michelle Melville Michelle.Melville at slcschools.org
Wed Oct 1 08:43:25 MDT 2014

Thank you for bringing this discussion to the list serve.  I agree that serendipity searching can be a victim of online searching.  That being said as librarians we should not feel defeated by this obstacle, but challenged to create spaces (physical and online) that induce curiosity and surprise to a new way of thinking.

One way is to avoid the "book warehouse" syndrome and be thoughtfully selective about collection development and how books are displayed on a shelf.  Personally I am looking at having every other shelf be angled for display to draw information seekers to areas they wouldn't normally seek out.  I am also looking at having my shelves be no more than 75% full for easier browsing.  My goal has always been to display as many books possible and I am exploring ways to increase that goal.  Also, we can look at putting inserts in the inside front cover of books to refer them to other books, as well as QR codes to refer them to online resources.

In addition to improving access to books in the hope of keeping serendipity alive is to be cautious of self-censorship.  If the purpose of serendipity is that information seekers are going to stumble into ideas that challenge and expose them to dew ideas and ways of thinking, then a balanced collection free from bias has to be a conscious effort by the librarian.  My first introduction to consciously avoiding self-censorship came from an 2009 article in SLJ "A Dirty Little Secret: Self-Censorship" by Debra Lau Whelan (http://www.slj.com/2009/02/censorship/a-dirty-little-secret-self-censorship/#_).

Michelle Melville
Library Technology Teacher
West High School Librarian
241 North 300 West