[Library Media] Library girl - this guy's perspective

Danae Leu DLEU at dsdmail.net
Fri Dec 20 10:50:56 MST 2013

As was mentioned before, Dewey does organize by genre more or less. As an elementary librarian I see my students innately look for similar book under the designated number long before I teach them a comprehensive explanation of the Dewey system in the third grade.

As for fiction, at first glance I would deduce that that assigning a book to one genre would be limiting. Genre stickers can be used to assist a browser who does not want to consult a catalog. I've made bookmarks for my students listing the books we have in different genres.. There are many books which appear on multiple bookmarks. There is perhaps an overly politically-correct part of me that bristles at the idea of labeling books as one thing. We would never do that with people. (I may have a problem with anthropomorphizing my book friends.) I would argue that a well-informed librarian is the best aid a library can have in getting the right book to the right student. I will be watching to see how genre-centered library fare.

I did create an extra fiction section in my library this year for early chapter books. I moved about 700 books from my fiction and picture book sections. They averaged around a hundred pages and were for the most part at a third grade or lower reading level. They are shelved alphabetically by author.  The section is naturally open to all grades but I found that first and second graders select most of their books through browsing and they were missing many books which were overshadowed by the larger titles in fiction. By moving the books that they will have the most success with to one location they are reading more widely than ever.

Have a happy reading holiday!

DaNae Leu
Snow Horse Elementary
Davis School District