[Library Media] Library Girl

Diane Mayne_lphs dmayne at alpinedistrict.org
Fri Dec 20 10:30:07 MST 2013

Loved the article, enjoy the debate about issues that keep popping up, made
me love my job even more. First off, look back in John Dewey's history,
what inspired him to come up with this system in the first place? Would
things devolve were we to get rid of Dewey? What problem would it solve to
throw the baby out with the bath water? When people write replies I'd like
to see if they are in elementary or secondary schools. It does make a
difference. Apples and oranges. On the secondary level you could take
advantage of genre grouping through lists on a blog, why mess with
something that is only going to torment shelvers and confuse students.
(more)

 On the secondary level when a student says to me, "I'd like my library to
be like Barnes and Noble or Borders," what they are really saying is "I
want tall tables, cushy captain's chairs,  treats and drinks,( especially
hot ones right now, especially the ones my parents won't let me have at
home because I'm already too wired, ) pop music in the background, charging
plugs for all my devices, and my favorite type of book all in one area,
because I couldn't care less about anything BUT FANTASY!!! ( What they want
is what their bedroom looks like at home. ) In an effort to broaden their
little brains I mix other genres on purpose. If the cover art doesn't get
them, maybe the first page will, and my undying enthusiasm for diversity in
people, places, and things will.

*I'm currently reading/listening to : *IN HARM'S WAY, by Doug Stanton