[Library Media] Library girl - this guy's perspective

Emilee McCoy emccoy at paradigmhigh.org
Fri Dec 20 10:06:12 MST 2013

The Dewey has its place. I feel we still need it.   When I organized a
elementary charter school library.  I organized my fiction A to Z but then
pulled out the popular series and had a series section.  It made it more
simple for me to help kids find it.  I also took the leveled readers for
K-2 and organized them by color level one through 4 and put them in bins.
 It was great when the kindergarteners came in because they could pick
stuff they could read.

Now I'm at a high school and I've taken my fiction and genre labeled them.
 This year I put an extra spine label on historical fiction and put the
time period of history that it was from.  That's helped the students find
the time period of history they are looking for.

Emilee E McCoy
Mentor-Librarian
Paradigm High Charter School
11577 South 3600 West