[Library Media] Library girl - this guy's perspective

Harris, Laurel Laurel.Harris at canyonsdistrict.org
Fri Dec 20 09:10:38 MST 2013

Thanks to all the brave souls that came out in favor of Dewey.  I have to admit when I first read this article a few days ago I was turned off by the abandon Dewey comments but refrained from commenting because I thought many would disagree.  I have seen arguments pro and con in the media a great deal the last few years, a recent AASL Knowledge Quest was devoted to the subject with several takes on it.  I so agree with the previous comments and wish to add one more consideration.  I put genre sticker on my fiction titles and sometimes it can be very difficult to determine a genre for a title.  Many times it is multiple genre's.  Stickers allow for me to have that.  Shelving by genre does not.  I can't even fathom creating a system for non-fiction.  When I go to a book store I often have to ask where certain genre's or subjects are located.  I don't have to do that in a library.

Laurel Harris
Jordan High School