[Library Media] Obligations

Fawn Morgan FMORGAN at dsdmail.net
Fri Nov 8 09:31:11 MST 2013

Friends

Most of you have already read the speech given by Neil Gaiman in October. My friend, the librarian at Syracuse High and master event programmer, first sent me the link. As powerful as the speech was to read, it is rendered even more powerful by listening: http://readingagency.org.uk/news/blog/neil-gaiman-lecture-in-full.html

He talks about the importance of literacy and how reading fiction is a gateway drug to reading all kinds of genre. He talks about how closing down library services is stealing from the future and how books allow us to communicate with the dead. He talks about the obligation of literate individuals to read in public and to read aloud to children. I love how he equates reading Sci Fi to future innovation. Share this with your faculty. Share it on your Facebook site and in your school newsletter. Just share it!

Fawn

Fawn B. Morgan, Teacher Librarian, Lancer Library, Layton High School 801-402-4996   http://tinyurl.com/lancerlibrary      Follow us on Facebook

" Libraries are the Petri dish of intellect and the information stored there provides the agar of learning." --Sara Roos, City Watch