[Library Media] Shake It Up! UELMA

Fawn Morgan FMORGAN at dsdmail.net
Wed Oct 23 10:39:19 MDT 2013

Preparations for the UELMA Spring Conference are underway! This year's theme is "Shake It Up! Focusing the Shift." SHAKE verb. 1. to move something, 2. to dislodge or shift, 3. to test, 4. to search someone. Synonyms: upset, disturb, stir up.

Many Utah school librarians have felt the impact of a series of major shake ups in our profession the last few years. We have a new Utah core curriculum to support which impacts our collection and collaboration. The effects of economic recession have hit many of us directly. A new teacher evaluation forces us to evaluate our programs. Join with us as we examine these impacts in order to focus our efforts and resolve.

Featured this year will be Jason Chin<http://jasonchin.net/biography/>, author and illustrator<http://jasonchin.net/artwork/> of acclaimed non-fiction<http://jasonchin.net/books/> (Supporting the Utah Core!) Island: a Story of the Galapagos, Redwoods and Coral Reefs will be the keynote speaker.

[cid:3de1924b-c02c-4004-877b-9c0bbff994cd]

Watch for a session suggestion survey and a call for proposals to be posted very soon. Be thinking what you can do to support this professional organization!! We need your support as an attendee, a volunteer and a presenter to make this conference successful.

Fawn B. Morgan, Teacher Librarian, Lancer Library, Layton High School 801-402-4996   http://tinyurl.com/lancerlibrary      Follow us on Facebook

" Libraries are the Petri dish of intellect and the information stored there provides the agar of learning." --Sara Roos, City Watch