[Library Media] School libraries play a key role in changing lives of our nation’s youth

pj zsiray pzsiray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 22:23:09 MDT 2013

The press release for the unveiling of the Declaration for the Right to
Libraries stated
"Our school libraries play a key role in changing lives of our nation’s
youth. Numerous studies show there is a clear link between the quality of
school library programs and academic achievement. More than 60 studies in
19 states have conclusively demonstrated that students in schools with
school library programs staffed by qualified school librarians learn more,
have higher academic achievement levels, and score higher on standardized
tests than their peers in schools without such library programs."
http://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2013/07/ala-president-barbara-stripling-unveils-declaration-right-libraries

 Barbara Stripling's (ALA President-elect) presidential initiative,
entitled *Libraries Change Lives*, will focus on increasing public
understanding of the value of libraries, especially in the realms of
literacy, innovation, and community engagement. Now is the time for us to
build the public will for libraries of all types.

For more information regarding the “Declaration for the Right to
Libraries,” or for information on how to participate, please visit

http://tinyurl.com/alalibrarydeclaration.
aula Zsiray
Library Media Teacher
Mountain Crest HS