[Library Media] AWESOME Resource for Reader's Advisory for Kids AND Adutls! NOVELIST

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Thu Jul 18 12:16:15 MDT 2013

The State Library recently added an awesome resource to Public Pioneer that
teachers, students and their parents can use to guide their search for
great things to read -- NOVELIST.

There are two flavors:
NoveList Plus<http://web.ebscohost.com/novp/search?sid=e5cfc2bd-ffa5-48dd-a039-827481f9f089%40sessionmgr113&vid=1&hid=122>
--
reading recommendations for all ages
NoveList K-8 Plus<http://web.ebscohost.com/novpk8/search?sid=751f892b-8514-431c-9e3d-ce9eab21ceef%40sessionmgr110&vid=1&hid=122>

To get the most of these tools, I STRONGLY encourage you to look at their
short training videos. Look for the link "HOW TO USE
NOVELIST<http://support.ebsco.com/novelist/training.php>"
in the upper right corner of the main NoveList page. They also have a
calendar of upcoming free webinars and archived webinars that you can use
to train your staff on how to use this really useful tool. Try it today!!!

Here's a blurb about the k-8 NoveList that Matt sent earlier this week:

NoveList K-8 Plus
[image: NoveList K-8
Puls]<http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=geo&profile=novpk8&db=njh&geocustid=s9215562>
 [image: Login to Novelist
K-8]<http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=geo&profile=novpk8&db=njh&geocustid=s9215562>
Reading Recommendations for Kids

NoveList K-8 Plus<http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=geo&profile=novpk8&db=njh&geocustid=s9215562>
is
a database about books specifically for younger readers. It helps kids find
books that are just right for their reading level and interests. Parents,
teachers, and librarians can also find tools to teach with books and engage
young readers. It has reading recommendations for both fiction and
nonfiction, for kids in grades K-8. Use it to find just the right books for
every reader.
*Find Just Right Books for Younger Readers*

Have kids who love action/adventure? Kids who want to read books just like
their favorite, Harry Potter? Students who have to find nonfiction books at
their reading level? NoveList K-8 Plus makes it easy to find just right
books that match each reader's interests and reading level.
*Created by Book Experts*

NoveList Plus is lovingly created by librarians and book experts. We have
over 25 librarians on staff, plus teachers and others from around the
country who contribute their expertise. Our hand-crafted recommendations
are created by professionals, so you can trust them to be high-quality. We
tell you *who*wrote a recommendation and *why* the recommendation makes
sense.
*Resources for Teachers and Parents*

If you teach with books, NoveList K-8 Plus is the place to go for
inspiration and education. Need lists of books by topic or unit of study?
We have ready-to-go materials that are quick and easy to use. Need books
for your lessons that meet Common Core State Standards? We have Curriculum
Connections and other materials that will get you started.
*Reading Lists!*

Our lists make it really easy for busy librarians (and readers) to find a
list of great books to read. Top ten, best of, favorites, award winners,
and more. Just download them and go!
*A Single Place for Reviews*

Tired of searching multiple places just to find out what people are saying
about a book? NoveList includes reviews from professionals (Booklist,
Kirkus, Library Journal, Publishers Weekly, School Library Journal), as
well as from readers (Goodreads, Chilifresh). One stop shopping!
*NoveList Has Appeal*

Appeal factors are terms that help kids decide whether or not a book is
“their style” Looking for funny graphic novels? Or exciting rescue stories?
Then we have appeal terms that will help! Learn more about appeals;
download our guides to Follow the
Appeal<http://www.ebscohost.com/uploads/novelist/pdf/FollowtheAppeal.pdf>
 and Target Your Search with
Appeals<http://www.ebscohost.com/uploads/novelist/pdf/TargetYourSearchwithAppeals.pdf>
.
*Award-Winners, All in One Place*

There are A LOT of book awards out there – Caldecott Medal, ALA Notable
Books, Newberry Medal, Parents Choice, and more. Wouldn't it be great if
there was one place to find lists of award-winning books? NoveList has that.

*Juan Tomás Lee*, State Data Coordinator/Library Consultant
Utah *State Library* Division
250 N 1950 W Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT 84116

801-715-6769  |  800-662-9150  |  jtlee at utah.gov