[Library Media] Shelving Questions

Ann Riding ARIDING at dsdmail.net
Wed May 8 11:59:12 MDT 2013

One additional suggestion is to have shelving that is portable, on wheels. Our school was rebuilt and reopened in 2006. The shelving is of two types, that are both on wheels. The first type is display shelving with a sloped display area  and a lip to hold whatever we wish to display-new acquisitions, periodicals, and other displays. The others have adjustable shelves. It's great to be able to arrange the collection to adapt to the needs of our school. When the library is used for large gatherings, we can move the shelving out of the way. They are quite heavy when loaded with books however, so I'm glad we don't do it often.

Our shelving is white, so to keep it clean I have student library media students who are responsible to find the surprises and such every single day. I can adjust the shelves, but still have a rather large oversized book collection of the coffee table sized books that just don't behave well with the regular sized books.

Ann Riding
Teacher Librarian, Norseman Nook, North Davis Junior High
Davis School District