[Library Media] Shelving Questions

georgeweight at integrity.com georgeweight at integrity.com
Wed May 8 05:34:32 MDT 2013

When working as a school librarian, I had an unorthodox way of shelving
books because our library was fairly small in size. In order to keep the
classes from gathering in one area; I shelved the fiction books on the
bottom rows and the non-fiction on the top rows. That way, we could spread
a class around the entire perimeter while exposing them to fiction and
non-fiction at the same time. (Worked well for English classes, but still
had some of the crowding problem when science or history classes came in,
but to a lesser degree than if the books had all been on 1-2 shelf units.
At least then students were exposed to both genres when browsing.)

 Thanks. George Weight