[Library Media] Collection Development for 6th - 8th

Sarah Herron Sarah.Herron at slcschools.org
Tue Mar 19 14:12:43 MDT 2013

Hello,

I am now in an urban middle school after being at the high school and am wondering how you select books for the 6th - 8th grade range. Case in point - my school's area has gang activity and drug use and those topics are of interest, especially for my older students, but several 6th grade students have checked out books that are on their Lexile level but the content is definitely too mature.  I am not concerned about purchasing books that are too young as we have many struggling readers but I am concerned about buying books that may have more mature content than can be handled by many of my students.

Do you label the books that are more mature? Do you err on the side of the younger students' books? I would like to build on books that interest them with books that will prepare them for high school.

Thank you for your help,
Sarah Herron

Sarah G. Herron
Library Technology Teacher, M. Ed.
Technology Coordinator
Glendale Middle School
1430 W Andrew Avenue
Salt Lake City, Utah 84104

Email: sarah.herron at slcschools.org<mailto:sarah.herron at slcschools.org>
Phone: 801.974.8319
Fax: 801.974.8356

"I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group. They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them." Michael Moore

Scanned By Microsoft Forefront Online Protection for Exchange