[Library Media] Please say thanks

sharyl smith sharylsmith at att.net
Fri Mar 15 14:01:15 MDT 2013

Good News!
Again, at the close of the Utah Legislative Session, we can say "thanks"! The
line item for "school library books and electronic resources" was funded at the
requested level, the same as last year, $550,000.

Please say thanks and, in the very same sentence, invite legislators to visit
your school library. They need to see firsthand that we embrace technology and
students do more than check out books­.­­­­!
By contacting legislators, you will be re-enforcing the idea that we are a group
with an important role to play in children's education. Also, we are becoming
known as the people who express appreciation. Not everybody does.
I appreciate all of you who recently responded to my informal telephone survey,
asking how you spent this appropriation last year and I am thankful to all of
you who have emailed legislators in the past to say thank you and to everyone
who will respond to this request now:
Please say thanks this weekend. I appreciate your help immensely.
Best wishes,
Sharyl Smith

Here are the legislators, with their addresses:    PLEASE USE YOUR HOME
COMPUTER.
The Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee memberswho have supported
school libraries in the past and continue to do so, or are new to the committee
and gave me ample time to meet one-on-one to explain our needs and were positive
in their responses:

Rep. Joel K. Briscoe  jbriscoe at le.utah.gov

Rep. LaVar Christensen  lavarchristensen at utah.gov

Rep. Steve Eliason        seliason at utah.gov

Rep. Francis D. Gibson fgibson at utah.gov

Rep. Stephen G. Handy stevehandy at utah.gov

Sen. Lyle W. Hillyard     lhillyard at utahsenate.org

Sen. Patricia Jones      pjones at utahsenate.org

Rep. Michael S. Kennedy mikekennedy at le.utah.gov
  Rep. Bradley G. Last, Co-Chair blast at le.utah.gov

Rep. David E. Lifferth dliffe­­rth at le.utah.gov
Rep. Carol Spackman Moss      csmoss at utah.gov

Sen. Aaron Osmond  aosmond at le.utah.gov(He won my "Best Listener" Award for
2012.)

Rep. Kraig Powell       kraigpowell at le.utah.gov

Sen. Howard A. Stephenson, Co-Chair              hstephenson at le.utahsenate.org
Sen. Daniel W. Thatcher dthatcher at utahsenate.org

Sen. Stephen H. Urquhardt  surquhart at le.utah.gov
      He earned my "Best Listener" Award for 2013.

The Executive Appropriations Committee members (and legislative leadership) who
have been especially supportive:
Speaker Rebecca Lockhart             blockhart at utah.gov

Rep. Mel Brown Co-Chair            melbrown at utah.gov

Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck            rchouck at utah.gov

Rep. Tim M. Cosgrove   tcosgrove at utah.govAs always, our hero! Tim advises, helps
in year-long planning, speaks out, and urges his colleagues to support.

  Sen. Gene Davis  gdavis at le.utah.gov

Rep. Greg Hughes      greghughes at utah.gov

Sen. Patricia Jones      pjones at utahsenate.org

Sen. Karen Mayne      kmayne at le.utah.gov

Sen. Luz Robles          lrobles at le.utah.gov

Rep. Jennifer M. Seelig  jseelig at le.utah.gov

Other legislators, many with whom I’ve met, who, individually or as a group,
have been supportive.
Rep. Patrice Arent      parent at utah.gov
Rep. Susan Duckworth   sduckworth at utah.gov
Rep. Janice Fisher       janicefisher at utah.gov