[Library Media] Update on eBook Services for Utah's K-12 schools...
rcline at media.utah.edu
Fri Feb 15 15:20:26 MST 2013
Here is an update on the eBook Services discussion regarding Utah's K-12 schools:
* Did not want to do an RFP at this time. Not really interested in having just one vendor from which to buy eBooks. One challenge to having just one vendor is that so many of Utah's schools/districts that currently license eBooks use a variety of models. One vendor would not satisfy all of Utah's K-12 eBook needs.
* Were not interested in following the UIMC model.
* UEN does not currently have the resources to build a web site for Utah's K-12 schools and eBook vendors to negotiate AND PAY FOR eBook titles.
* UEN's mission does not include facilitating business deals EXCHANGE OF FUNDS between public/higher education and vendors; however, UEN can facilitate an RFP (e.g., Pioneer Library online databases, Canvas, eBook services, etc.).
* Utah's procurement laws say that any purchase by an entity that exceeds $50,000 must do an RFP for that product(s)/service(s).
* Look at K-12 Library representation on the UEN Board / IS sub-committee.
* In light that the eBook landscape is changing so quickly right now, the group decided that it would be best to wait, watch, and see what happens over the next few months. It was suggested that we meet again in 3-6 months to continue this discussion regarding eBook services in Utah's K-12 schools.
If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at any time.
Richard W. Cline
Utah Education Network
101 Wasatch Drive
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112-1792
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the library-media