[Library Media] Virtual learning commons that replaces the school library website -- FREE Workshop

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Mon Jan 7 08:57:20 MST 2013

*Forwarded for David Loertscher, Professor, San Jose State University*****

****

For the past three years, my students, leaders across Canada, and I have
been developing the Virtual Learning Commons as a replacement for the
school library website. This is a giant collaborative that places the
school library at the heart of teaching and learning in the school.****

** **

I will be conducting a series of three free workshops that will enable you
to experiment with and create a VLC for your school. And, you will have
something to showcase for Digital Learning Day in February.****

** **

The  three  ninety minutes sessions will be Jan. 14, 21, and Feb. 4th at
five pm Pacific/eight pm eastern on each of the Monday evenings.****

Objective: To create a collaborative virtual learning commons that replaces
the school library website. The site will contain five major  virtual
rooms: ****

   - The Information Center, ****
   - The Literacy Center, ****
   - the Knowledge Building Center, ****
   - The Experimental Learning Center, and ****
   - School Culture. ****

** **

We will focus on using Google Sites as the construction tool, but other
software can be used. Participants will  construct either a sandbox
prototype or a real VLC for their school. Opportunities
to collaborate across participants will be the focus.

****

To sign up, just send an email to me at: reader.david at gmail.com****

** **

And, I would appreciate it if you would announce this across whatever state
networks you have access to.

****

** **

The website for the series is building at:
https://sites.google.com/site/virtuallearningcommonsworkshop/****

** **

Please join us.

*Juan Tomás Lee*, State Data Coordinator/Consultant
Utah *State Library* Division <http://library.utah.gov>
250 N 1950 W Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT 84116
801-715-6769  |  800-662-9150  |  jtlee at utah.gov