[Library Media] Letters About Literature 2012/2013

Matt McLain mmclain at utah.gov
Thu Nov 15 15:39:23 MST 2012

Hi Teacher Librarians!

I'm a little late with this announcement, but I wanted to let you know that
Letters About Literature 2012/2013 has begun.

Letters About Literature (LAL), a national reading and writing promotion
program of the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress, invites
young readers in grades 4 – 10 to enter the 21st Annual LAL letter writing
competition. The contest challenges young readers to write a personal
letter to an author explaining how that author’s work somehow changed the
readers’ view of their world.

LAL awards prizes on both state and national level in three competition
levels: Level 1 for children in grades 4 – 6; Level 2 for children in
grades 7 – 8; and Level 3 for children in grades 9 – 10. National winners
will receive a cash award of $1,000. Utah winners in each level will
receive $150 for first place, $75 for second place, and $25 for third
place. The first place winners will also advance on to the national
competition.

Teachers, librarians, and parents can download the free teaching materials,
including lesson plans, assessment checklists, and student writing samples
by visiting the LAL website:
www.lettersaboutliterature.org. There are some examples of how Letters
About Literature connects to the Core Standards as well.

Please note that the contest has been discontinued for students in 11th and
12th grades.

Submission deadline is postmark January 11, 2013. State winners will be
notified in April 2013 and national winners by May 2013. Please submit all
entries, along with the attached Entry Form, to
Letters About Literature
PO Box 5308
Woodbridge, VA 22194

I encourage you to forward this information on to teachers in your school
who might be interested in having their students compete.
If you have any questions about the program, please let me know.
--
Matt McLain
Youth Services Coordinator & Library Consultant
mmclain at utah.gov
(801) 715-6742