[library-media] ALA FIL application--apply now

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Mon May 21 15:29:00 MDT 2012

Do you serve folks who speak Spanish? Do you select materials in
Spanish? International book fairs are the perfect place to identify
those popular items that will greatly benefit your users but are not
usually carried by your regular book vendors in the United States. The
ALA FIL Free Pass is an excellent program to assist US librarians
attend the Guadalajara International Book Fair. I strongly encourage you
to take advantage of this opportunity.

Juan Tomás Lee
Utah State Library Division

May 21, 2012

Dear Bibliotecarios,

This letter is to let you know that Ruben Padilla will be at ALA annual
in booth  #352 at Anaheim representing the Guadalajara International
Book Fair. Should you have any questions at all, he will be more than
happy to answer them.

FIL 2012 is shaping up to be our best fair ever, as we celebrate our
26th edition with Chile and Chilean Literature as our Guest of Honor.
Though ALA attendance slipped in 2011, we are on track to receiving 175
applications from U.S. Latin American collection development librarians.
As usual, ALA will be offering $100 in air support for the first 150
applicants and the FIL will offer an additional $100 to the FIRST ONE
HUNDRED LIBRARIANS TO BE ACCEPTED INTO THE FREE PASS PROGRAM. Please see
the enclosed application for more details.

Further, we will once more have our Salon de Novedades where you can
find the latest fiction, non-fiction, academic and children’s book
publications. We suggest that you spend the nights of November 25-27 in
Guadalajara, to take advantage of the professional days and, of course,
of the Gala Dinner on Sunday evening.

We would like to encourage you to apply at once so that we can process
your application and have you begin looking for reasonable airfare to
Guadalajara.

 PLEASE DISREGARD IF YOU HAVE ALREADY APPLIED.

Saludos cordiales,

David Unger

David Unger, U.S. Rep
Guadalajara Intl. Book Fair