[library-media] eBooks, Chortling, College Bound & F words

Morgan Fawn fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Fri Jan 6 09:47:31 MST 2012

Library friends,

Since we've been having eBook discussions and conferences, I thought
you might be interested in this article about the upwardly mobile prices
of eBooks:

http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/e-content/it-s-kinda-steve-s-fault-actually

I just bought six $99 Nooks to sync together. They do not have Internet
access, have the eInk technology which reads easily in the sun and more
resistant to damage than the touch screens. Our Barnes and Noble experts
are just a few blocks away and more than ready to help. After being
registered, synced and loaded with lots of free ePub classics, they are
unregistered so as to be secured. So far, so good.

I just joined GoodReads after using it for years as an unregistered
participant. I am currently reading Mr. Pettigrew's Last Stand which
will keep you chortling late at night as you read from your Nook. Love
that book!

I just printed the YALSA Outstanding Books for the College Bound
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/booklists/obcb. It's embarrassing how few we
actually own at Layton High. I love that the list is divided into
categories so I can pass selected parts on to departments, though.
Anyway,  I will keep trying to make the thoroughly-modern and up-to-date
list of high schools in the state. Maybe adding a few on the Nooks will
help.

Chasing after the train that has left the station...

p.s. Re the earlier inquiry: Davis District does not have and F word
clause in its Acquisition Policy. We trust in the intelligence of the
individual library staff to make informed decisions.

Fawn
Layton High

Fawn Morgan                 fmorgan at dsdmail.net
LHS Library www.tinyurl.com/lhslibrary
Follow us on FaceBook and Twitter
Layton High School, 440 Wasatch Drive, Layton, Utah       84041
Voice 801-402-4996     Fax 801-402-4801