[library-media] Letters About Literature 2012

Matt McLain mmclain at utah.gov
Wed Sep 21 13:37:52 MDT 2011

Hi Library Media Friends,

I just wanted to alert you to the beginning of the 2012 Letters About Literature program. If you are unfamiliar with Letters About Literature, it is a program encouraging children in grades 4-12 to write a letter to the author of a book that has affected him or her in a profound way. Letters About Literature is presented through the Center for the Book in the Library of Congress in partnership with Target. The Utah State Library is coordinating the program with the Utah Humanities Council for Utah students this year.

Letters About Literature can be facilitated through a class writing project. A child can also write his or her own letter and mail it in as an individual. Letters that are selected as National Winners will receive a $500 Target GiftCard, plus will secure a $10,000 Letters About Literature Reading Promotion Grant in the child's name for his or her community or school library. Letters must be submitted by Friday, January 6, 2012.

There are three levels:
Level 1--Grades 4-6
Level 2--Grades 7-8
Level 3--Grades 9-12
Two National Winners will be named for each level.

Additionally, the Salt Lake Community College Community Writing Center is presenting a Letters About Literature workshop on October 8 and 15 for students who would like extra help with their letters, or who are not in participating classes. The workshops will be held at the Writing Center's offices located at Library Square in Salt Lake City. You can find more information about the workshop at their website http://www.slcc.edu/cwc/workshops.asp#Letters.

Please visit www.lettersaboutliterature.org for more information about the program. Entry forms can be found for schools and libraries at http://lettersaboutliterature.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Guidelines_School_Library_2012_pdf.249112742.pdf and for individual entries at http://lettersaboutliterature.org/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/Guidelines_Individual_2012_pdf.249113001.pdf.

If you would like to see the winning letters from Utah for 2011, visit the Utah Humanities Council Center for the Book website at http://www.utahhumanities.org/UCBLettersAboutLiterature.htm.

We would love to see increased participation by Utah classes this year. I encourage you to forward this email to teachers at your school who might be interested in participating in Letters About Literature.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.
Matt

Matt McLain
Youth Services Coordinator
Utah State Library