[library-media] iPads and apps for English Language Learning

Randy Christensen christensen at suu.edu
Tue Sep 20 14:22:51 MDT 2011

The Google Translate app is helpful. A person can either speak or type in the mother language, and the message will be translated into the language being learned. The app will also "speak" the translated words or phrases.

The iTranslate app is similar, but without the speech recognition for input.

Both have been helpful to me as I learn Spanish. They would work just as well going the other direction.

Randy

Randy Christensen
Assoc. Prof. of Library Media
Southern Utah University
Email:   christensen at suu.edu
Office phone:   435-586-7946
Cell phone:      435-868-1400

>>> "Juan Lee" <jtlee at utah.gov> 9/19/2011 1:49 PM >>>

Dear Colleagues,

I recently received the question of using iPads for English as a foreign language instruction (for ELLs). If your library/school is using iPads for second language instruction, have you found an app that works better than others? Any ideas and recommendations are welcome.

Thank you,

Starting Tuesday, September 6, 2011, our agency hours will be 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.