[library-media] New Summary on School Library Impact Studies Published This Year

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Mon Jun 20 09:43:38 MDT 2011

Juan

I especially appreciated the fact that Dr. Lance endorsed this work when he stated, “This is a spectacular piece of work, a wonderfully comprehensive and detailed summary of this line of research.” Although, I have read most of the reports created his researchers, I find that the The Impact Studies Chart found on page 6 of this report is an additional and extremely helpful overview. It allows a principal or school board to quickly get the picture.

Fawn

>>> "Juan Lee" 06/15/11 6:13 PM >>>
Greetings!
I just saw this report (relatively short, 16 pages) and I thought you may find it cool reading during this hot summer.

http://libweb.mansfield.edu/upload/kachel/ImpactStudy.pdf

Excerpt
Although evidence demonstrating how quality school library programs improve student learning has been in existence since Mary Gaver’s original work in 1963, the research has never been well disseminated beyond the school library profession. In an effort to help school administrators and other stakeholders to better understand the importance of providing equitable, instructional school library services, the Pennsylvania School Librarians Association (PSLA) decided to update their website to include the major findings from the landmark body of research known as the “school library impact studies.” Begun in the early 1990’s by Dr. Keith Curry Lance and his associates at the Colorado Department of Education and the University of Denver, these reports primarily correlated standardized language arts test scores of students to components of school library programs. To date, 22 states and one Canadian province have provided data for such research conducted by Lance and a variety of other researchers...

Thanks to Patience Frederiksen, Alaska State Library, for sharing the link.

Juan Tomás

Juan Tomás Lee, State Data Coordinator/Library Consultant
Utah State Library Division
250 N 1950 W, Suite A
Salt Lake City, UT 84116-7901
Phone (801)715-6769
Fax (801)715-6767
Toll-free (800)662-9150 ext. 769
jtlee at utah.gov

Utah State Library Division hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and closed on Friday.