[library-media] April Games for Educators Newsletter

Juan Lee jtlee at utah.gov
Thu Apr 28 16:11:09 MDT 2011

If you are unable to see the message below, click here to view it.

   Web Site  | Game Finder  | Podcasts  | Game Reviews  April, 2011

Feature Articles
Games in the Libraries
by Toby Greenwalt
In this article, Toby gives you everything you might need to know about incorporating games in your library. Even if you're not interested in libraries, you should check this out. These tips would work in any setting.
Read More!

Cheaters Never Prosper?
by Nate Schiedler
Anyone who has ever tried to run a game program has encountered the problem of cheating. Nate gives us some surprising ideas for how to solve the problem, without stifling creativity.
Read More!

What's New for After School
by Patrick Matthews
I swung by the NAA tradeshow to find what is new and fun happening in the world of After School care. I didn't find too many games, but I did find a lot of fun stuff that can add to your class, home, or after school program.
Read More!

Great Stories from the Web
Kids Winning With a Game!
Are you familiar with Odyssey of the Mind? It's a world-wide competition for kids, and this year, some kids Carthage Middle School just won their state with a game.
Read More!

World Peace Game
John Hunter gave a TED Talks presentation by the World Peace game he runs in his classroom. Fascinating stuff!
Read More!

Bridging Worlds
Can you imagine a bunch of 2nd-graders sitting down to a game of Bridge? Teachers in Yorktown heights did, and the kids are absolutely loving it.
Read More!

Have an Idea for a Story?
Let Us Know!
We're always on the lookout for good stories, whether they're game reviews, or ways teachers or parents can use games, or even discussions of the educational benefits of games.

If there's something specific you'd like us to write about, let us know! This newsletter is all for you, after all. Why not let us know what you are interested in?

BEYOND THE CLASSROOM
It's been a while since we had a good meaty article for libraries. Toby Greenwalt changes that this month with a fantastic article on how to add games to a library.
We also have the latest and greatest from the world of after school care, courtesy of the NAA. Finally, Nate gives us the inside scoop on dealing with cheaters, but in a nice way.
Enjoy!

GREAT STUFF
Looking for a t-shirt or hat for your favorite teacher? We've opened a cafepress store filled with exactly what you need
Go check it out!

Our Sponsors

Please remember our sponsors... They help us keep bringing this wonderful free content to you month after month. In no particular order, they are:
Bishop Cubes The new 3D Shapeshifting puzzle blocks that let you create your own games!
Identity Pursuit How do you see yourself? How do others see you? Find out with this great game!
Quarterback King A football board game with chess-like strategies. Challenging. Cognitive. Competitive.
Zillio Games Zillio makes a fascinating Math Mountain game that you simply must check out.
Indigo® Instruments: Create your own games from a wide variety of science lab supplies!
Griddly Games: Check out WiseAlec™ and laugh the night away!

This newsletter designed & produced by Live Oak Games Creative Services

To forward this message, click this link