[library-media] Library Week Giggle

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Tue Apr 12 12:26:39 MDT 2011

Colleagues,

In honor of National Library Week, I send you the dialogue from a
recent student-librarian conversation. We're all in this together so
enjoy!

>From a 2nd period U.S. Studies class doing research on civil rights:

Me: Did you copy down the publishing data from your book or photocopy
it so that you can create a works cited page?

Her: I'm just going to use the Internet.

Me: That's great, you CAN use the Internet, but you need to ALSO use
the summaries you just created from the books you just found.

Her: So we need to use the information from the books?

Me: Yes, and you need to cite the information on a works cited page AND
internally in the paper.

Her: Oh, I never did that before...I just used the Internet.

Me: Yes, I believe it, but, every term so far you have been assigned to
use information from both print and electronic sources - and cite them.

Her: Well, that [stinks]!

Me: You have no idea how much! (Giggle)

Her: So, it's different this time? We have to use information from the
books, too?

Me: (Sigh)

Happy spring day during National Library Week.

Fawn
Layton High