[library-media] Pls say thanks

sharyl smith sharylsmith at att.net
Fri Mar 11 15:10:30 MST 2011

Greetings!
The Legislature has appropriated $600,000 ($400,000 in ongoing funding and
$200,000 in one-time-only money) for school libray books and electronic
resources. Please say thanks. A very short message is fine.

So few people bother and saying thanks to the legislators is always noted—many
tell me they hear from “the school library people.”
I’ve just finished handwritten notes to everyone below; they would be a good
follow up to your emails.
As for the anecdotal notes in the list, I’ve run out of time to say more. In
short, we have friends and need to thank them.

 Here are the members with their addresses:    PLEASE USE YOUR HOME COMPUTER.
The Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee members who supported the line
item:
Sen. D. Chris Buttars, Chair       dcbuttars at utahsenate.org  In committee: “This
program is undervalued and underfunded!”  Whether you agree or disagree with his
politics, with his retirement, we are losing a champion.

Rep. Merlynn T. Newbold, Chair merlynnnewbold at utah.gov
Rep. LaVar Christensen lavarchristensen at utah.gov Rep. Christensen spoke out
strongly for the line item. He told me the Subcommittee made the line item their
second priority!!!

Rep. Tim M. Cosgrove   tcosgrove at utah.gov  As always, our hero! Tim advises,
helps in year-long planning, speaks out, and urges his colleagues to support.

Rep. Steve Eliason        seliason at utah.gov     His mother is a retired county
librarian. Good support from him.

Rep. Francis D. Gibson fgibson at utah.gov      Rep. Gibson visited Lanell Rabner’s
Springville H.S. and met with her and teachers from the English Dept. He’s a
strong ally, who spoke to friends in leadership on behalf of the line item. He
received my “House Best Listener Award” this year.” It’s a little
tongue-in-check, but he deserved the award!

Rep. Stephen G. Handy stevehandy at utah.gov           A strong support from the
very start.

Sen. Lyle W. Hillyard     lhillyard at utahsenate.org  He took time to observe as
JaDene Denniston taught a Big6 lesson to primary-level class.

Sen. Karen W. Morgan   kmorgan at utahsenate.org      An enthusiastic voice of
support over the years and willing to speak up.

Rep. Carol Spackman Moss      csmoss at utah.gov       Another enthusiastic voice
of support over the years and willing to speak up.

Rep. Marie H. Poulson   mariepoulson at utah.gov       Another enthusiastic voice
of support over the years and willing to speak up.

Sen. Daniel W. Thatcher dthatcher at utahsenate.org He earned my “Senate Best
Listener Award” this year.

The Executive Appropriations Committee members (and legislative leadership) who
were especially supportive:
President Michael Waddoups   waddoups at utahsenate.org
Speaker Rebecca Lockhart  (I understand that she is responsible for the $200,000
in one-time-only funding!) blockhart at utah.gov
Rep. Mel Brown          melbrown at utah.gov
Rep. Greg Hughes        greghughes at utah.gov
Rep. David Litvack      dlitvack at utah.gov
Sen. Ross Romero       rromero at utahsenate.org
Sen. Patricia Jones       pjones at utahsenate.org
Sen. Ben McAdams     bmcadams at utahsenate.org

Other legislators, many with whom I’ve met, who have as a group been supportive,
e.g. appropriated Caucus money last year to save the line item:
Rep. Patrice Arent        parent at utah.gov
Rep. Jackie Biskupski  jbiskupski at utah.gov
Rep. Joel Briscoejbriscoe at utah.gov
Rep. Rebecca Chavez-Houck  rchouck at utah.gov