[library-media] Inform

sharyl smith sharylsmith at att.net
Tue Feb 22 23:11:22 MST 2011

Greetings!

To bring you up to date:

The Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee's tentative budget includes
$500,000 in ongoing funding for school library books and electronic resources,
exactly what we asked for!  That's the good news.

However, the Subcommittee never voted on the budget, so it goes forward as an
unofficial recommendation only. The Executive Appropriations Committee will
consider the education budget next. Their next meeting is on Thursday, February
24, at 5:15pm, Rm 210, in the Senate Building adjacent to the Capitol.

Now that the revenue forecast has been released today, we need to contact
members of the Executive Appropriations Committee, who will consider the line
item, as well as members of the Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee, in
case the budget is sent back to the Subcommittee. (When you email, put school
libraries in the subject line and "constituent," if you are.

Please contact the legislators below to tell them what is accomplished in your
school by providing resources through the school library. If legislators realize
how important this funding is, you will have an impact.

Friends and I have met with many legislators of the two groups, nearly all of
the Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee this year and many of the
Executive Appropriations Committee. Add to these efforts with your email!

I've learned that we have some very strong supportive voices among legislators,
but we need to keep the momentum going. Your message doesn't have to be long.
Please use your home computer.

Many thanks!

Sharyl Smith

Executive Appropriations Committee
Rep. Melvin R. Brown, Chair
melbrown at utah.gov

Sen. Lyle W. Hillyard, Chair
lhillyard at utahsenate.org

Rep. John Dougall, Vice Chair
jdougall at utah.gov

Sen. Dennis E. Stowell, Vice Chair
dstowell at utahsenate.org

Rep. Brad L. Dee
bdee at utah.gov

Rep. Gregory H. Hughes
greghughes at utah.gov

Sen. Scott K. Jenkins
sjenkins at utahsenate.org

Sen. Patricia W. Jones
pjones at utahsenate.org

Rep. Brian S. King
briansking at utah.gov

Sen. Peter C. Knudson
pknudson at utahsenate.org

Rep. David Litvack
dlitvack at utah.gov

Public Education Appropriations Subcommittee Rep. Rebecca D. Lockhart
blockhart at utah.gov

Sen. Benjamin M. McAdams
bmcadams at utahsenate.org

Rep. Ronda Rudd Menlove