[library-media] library-media Digest, Vol 41, Issue 10

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Mon Jan 31 16:18:55 MST 2011

The stats Anne sends us are frightening, but not surprising. I have to
say that I have tried to teach 21st Century Skills long before the
phrase existed, mostly to no great improvement.

Thanks in part to tutorials and teaching PowerPoints created in
collaboration by WSU librarians and high school librarians the students
here at Layton High this year have been pushed to - sound the horns -
NOT plagiarize, but instead, actually quote, summarize, paraphrase and
cite. They thought they were dying and proclaimed that they had never
worked so hard in their lives. Yippee!!

The other part of the equation was that I finally got the collective
support of a whole new group of sophomore English teachers who were
willing to try new strategies. Here's hoping you luck into teachers like
this!

Fawn
Layton High