[library-media] Confessions & Display Solutions

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Fri Jan 28 15:42:55 MST 2011

Colleagues

I must confess that even though I am a passionate reader, few things
raise my anxiety level higher than a patron asking for a book
recommendation. Ironic, huh? I don't know what happens to me, but I
panic, my mind goes blank and I have to resort to pre-prepared
recommendation lists and displays.  (Now, ask me to help you research an
elusive statistic or issue and I go into high focus and clear-thinking
mode.) The only thing that sends me into panic and anxiety mode more is
when I finally think of a recommendation and can't find the book on the
shelf. IT HAS GONE MISSING! Aaaarghhh!

So, depending on displays and promo lists like need to do, you can see
why I was interested in Brent's article in the last UELMA newsletter. I
was intrigued by the photos of rows and rows of shelves with hundreds of
books displayed. How in the world does someone find the book when it is
on display in another part of the library - up front and center as
suggested in the article?

How do y'all handle that problem? Despite repeated requests on my part,
the software system we use does NOT have an "on display" copy status.
When I put a book on display away from its regular shelf I temporarily
add *On Display to the front of the call number and put a special
sticker on the spine. When I replace the displayed copy on the shelf I
re-edit the call number back to the original and remove the sticker. Do
any of you have other solutions?

Fawn
Layton High