[library-media] Great Issues Forum

Loutensock, Georgia Georgia.Loutensock at schools.utah.gov
Mon Jan 10 12:12:12 MST 2011

The Intellectual Freedom Committee of the Utah Library Association invites you to a Great Issues Forum:

Today's School Libraries 'R' Tomorrow's Democracy

Thursday January 13, 2011 from 7:00 - 8:30 (refreshments to follow) at the Downtown Salt Lake City Library.

210 East 400 South

Panel guests: Representative Carol Spackman Moss, Georgia Loutensock from the Utah Office of Education, Julie Atwood from Salt Lake City School District Media Center,  Barbara Hopkins, School Librarian, will discuss the situation of libraries in Utah Schools. Public libraries often are expected to fill the gaps, unprepared and not funded to do so.

-          Freedom of expression is an inalienable human right and the foundation for self-government...speech, press, religion, assembly, and association, and the corollary right to receive information.

-          We know that censorship, ignorance, and limitations on the free flow of information are the tools of tyranny and oppression. We believe that ideas and information topple the walls of hate and fear and build bridges of cooperation and understanding far more effectively than weapons and armies.

-          We recognize the power of information and ideas to inspire justice, to restore freedom and dignity to the oppressed, and to change the hearts and minds of the oppressors.

-          Libraries in America are cornerstones of the communities they serve. Free access to the books, ideas, resources, and information in America's libraries is imperative for education, employment, enjoyment, and self-government.

-          Libraries are a legacy to each generation, offering the heritage of the past and the promise of the future.

Please join us for an evening of discussion, to learn a bit more about a way we can preserve and fight for freedom, from our homes, our desks and our libraries

Georgia Loutensock
Teaching and Learning
Utah State Office of Education
250 East 500 South