[library-media] Common Sense Media

Lanell Rabner lanell.rabner at nebo.edu
Mon Nov 22 08:51:23 MST 2010

This has been an excellent discussion, one we should all
be involved in at least thinking about. One of the best
things about YA literature is the responsiveness with
which authors handle issues pressing down on kids.
Certainly there are those kids who are looking for
validation for their behavior, be it good or otherwise,
however, there are many more young people looking for
answers to life's challenges, as well as a just plain good
story. All of which can be found under the guise of YA
literature. Dystopian literature is a prime example. Teens
think the world is going to be gone in about 500 years, so
all kinds of authors are taping into that fear, writing
excellent, good, and some pretty poor books about new
world orders, and life after some kind of holocaust.

I wish our kids lived in a Pollyanna world. I'm sad they
don't. I think I did when I was a teenager. As a teacher
of literature to Youth in Custody, every day I hear
stories I could have lived a lifetime without ever
hearing. Some of my boys are looking for validation for
their criminal behavior, others for answers to their
problems, but all of them for what life in prison will be
like, because sadly to say, that is where most of them are
headed. So I buy very "iffy" books like Jay Asher's
phenomenal discussion book Thirteen Reasons Why, No
Choirboy: Murder, Violence, and Teenagers on Death Row,
and Rats Saw God, and unrated books like What Happened to
Cass McBride, Shattering Glass, Rikers Higher, and any and
everything by Paul Volponi. Maybe not titles for
everyone's library but certainly for mine and not just for
my Cornerstone boys.

Thanks Christine, for reminding us to collect for our
community of users. But I have to confess, I'm skeptical
of any rating system that labels the Twilight series as
"on" for kids 13+. A stereotypical, manipulated female I
would hope no young woman I know would ever look to as a
role model. Veiled sexuality? Rampant! And touted by
probably more mothers than their teens. I find the covert
more dangerous than the overt. So for me, the long and the
short of it is knowing your users, what's out there, and
using good judgment to match them up.

I love YA lit! It brings us so many great stories,
characters, and storytellers!

Have an excellent Thanksgiving Break :)

~lanell rabner

Lanell Rabner