[library-media] FW: Start The School Year Copyright Compliant

Loutensock, Georgia Georgia.Loutensock at schools.utah.gov
Mon Aug 9 10:41:42 MDT 2010

FYI  This is important.  Please read!!!
Georgia Loutensock

From: Kristi Hensley [mailto:khensley at movlic.com]
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 10:37 AM
To: BJONES at WEBER.K12.UT.US; anwoodring at weber.k12.ut.us; jlsutah at comcast.net; lholson at alpine.k12.ut.us; Loutensock, Georgia; cpowell at grainteschools.org
Subject: Start The School Year Copyright Compliant

Utah Educational Library Media Association-
In an effort to keep your state updated on the legal use of copyrighted movies inside your schools, I have enclosed the updated Public Performance Site Licensing information.   Please share this information with your members at the start of the school year.

Keeping your sites knowledgeable of how movies can be used legally in your schools is important; take a moment to review our newly updated website and all it has to offer as a resource for copyright law, movie program information and free promotional materials for schools that have purchased the site license:  www.movlic.com.

Kristi Hensley | Copyright Licensing Manager | P:877.321.1300 | F:877.876.9873 | Email: khensley at movlic.com<mailto:khensley at movlic.com>
Movie Licensing USA | 10795 Watson Road | St. Louis, MO 63127 | United States of America | www.movlic.com<http://www.movlic.com>

This email and any attachments are the property of Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. and are intended solely for the use of the email recipient or entity to whom the email is addressed.  Emails are not to be distributed to other parties without the express written permission of the original sender.  If you are not the intended recipient of this email, please delete this message.  Any other use, retention, or dissemination is strictly prohibited.
Please consider the environment before printing this email

Because you are a role model for your students and you respect federal copyright laws, you may want to take a quick copyright quiz.  According to US federal copyright law, any time a copyrighted movie is brought outside the home and shown in a public setting, like a school and it is shown outside the curriculum, you must obtain the public performance rights before you can legally show the copyrighted film on your campus.
Questions you may want to ask your faculty/staff:
∙ Do my teachers have access to televisions and VCR//DVD players in the classrooms?  If so, are they aware you must obtain the licensing rights before you can legally show
  a copyrighted video outside the curriculum regardless of where the movies come from and whether you charge admission?
∙ Do I have an after-school or latch-key program on my school’s campuses and are they using movies as part of their after-school activities.
∙ Do parent groups such as PTA’s and PTO’s use movies for activities such as Family Movie Nights?
∙ Do community groups use the school building and are they using movies in their activities?
If the answer to any of these questions is yes, please contact your school district’s Copyright Licensing Manager, Kristi Hensley.  Only Movie Licensing USA is able to offer a public performance site license for all of these Hollywood studios. No other licensing source can provide this exclusive, comprehensive coverage.
An annual Movie Public Performance Copyright Compliance Site License is a 12 month license that starts on the day you specify.  The license allows anyone on campus such as teachers, after-school programs and parents groups to show as many movies as they see fit throughout the year.  You are allowed to show any copyrighted video produced by any of the major motion picture studios we represent, such as Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Columbia Pictures, Tri-Star Pictures, DreamWorks Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Miramax Films, United Artists, Warner Bros., Sony Pictures,  Universal Pictures,  Lion’s Gate Films  and New Line Cinema.
If anyone on your campus occasionally shows movies for After School Programs, Student Rewards, Bad Weather Days, Lunchroom Control, Indoor Recess, Family Movie Nights, Holiday Programs, PTA Attendance Enhancement for Meeting Night "Sitters," or any number of other possible uses, I would recommend the license to protect your school against copyright infringement.
Attached you will find our Movie Licensing Made Easy brochure or you can visit our website at www.movlic.com<http://www.movlic.com/>.  If you or anyone on your school’s campus has questions, please feel free to contact me by e-mail at khensley at movlic.com<mailto:khensley at movlic.com> or toll free at 1-877-321-1300.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: https://lists.uen.org/pipermail/library-media/attachments/20100809/54921ef9/attachment-0001.html 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Movie Licensing Made Easy Insert.pdf
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 394598 bytes
Desc: Movie Licensing Made Easy Insert.pdf
Url : https://lists.uen.org/pipermail/library-media/attachments/20100809/54921ef9/attachment-0002.obj 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Copyright Infringement Brochure (Public).pdf
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 131281 bytes
Desc: Copyright Infringement Brochure (Public).pdf
Url : https://lists.uen.org/pipermail/library-media/attachments/20100809/54921ef9/attachment-0003.obj 

More information about the library-media mailing list