[library-media] Governor Herberts Monthly News Conference

Diana Hanke dhanke at dcsd.org
Tue Mar 30 09:08:08 MDT 2010

As I reflected further on the comment made by Governor Herbert, I found
myself feeling quite empathetic with the legislators and the governor.  They
had a tough job to do and cuts had to be made; cuts never make anyone happy.
Instead of reflecting on the huge, almost impossible picture in change of
perception, we as library media teachers really need to make a concerted
effort to educate starting on a home-grown level with our own staffs and
administration.  Do our teachers and administrators know there are resources
in the library to support their curriculum?  Are the teachers using those
resources when they teach particular units?  Do we involve teachers in the
selection process and encourage use?  Are we collaborating with teachers on
specific lessons and using the resources within our libraries for support?
If we make ourselves indispensable within our own school community, that
indispensability will spread.  Once we make a dedicated effort at take
small steps in our own school communities, we can make what seems impossible
and disheartening, possible.