[library-media] Governor Herberts Monthly News Conference

Diana Hanke dhanke at dcsd.org
Sat Mar 27 13:30:46 MDT 2010

The UEN page is my home page, and I always scan the headlines there before I
move anywhere else.  I clicked into Governor Herbert's Monthly Address
Manuscript, and found myself quite discouraged.

In his review of the legislative session and funding for education, one
quote stood out.  "And when it was all said and done we ended up getting a
little nick with $10 million, in areas that are probably not as essentials
to the classroom, like library books, most schools would have been able to
purchase three or four new library books this year, now they won't be able
to because of the $10 million in cut. But I feel very good about that...."

It sounds like Governor Herbert needs a little education about how library
books are purchased and what the use is for.  Don't we all purchase and
develop our collections around the core curriculums specifically taught in
our schools with encouragement of lifetime reading a second priority?

I guess our job to explain our job will never end.  Instead, it is a larger
priority than ever.

Diana Hanke
DCSD library media supervisor