[library-media] book fines

Heather Tomlinson htomlinson at mountainvilleacademy.org
Thu Jan 28 15:32:48 MST 2010

I do the same - don't charge a fine unless the book is intentionally or
irreparably damaged.

Pages falling out but still there, natural wear and tear, etc:  no fine.  I
have asked students to tape ripped pages for me.  (I just use regular clear
tape on paperbacks and well-used books.  If it's a newer/nicer book, I'll
pull out the 'good stuff' and have the student hold the page in place while
I do the actual taping)

A book was dropped in a puddle and warped.  It was just a golden book (about
$4) so I only charged a $1.50 fine.    A hardcover book had the spine chewed
by a puppy - still readable, so I charged $5 and taped over the bite marks.

No policy written in stone:  I just look at the book, and charge a couple
dollars if I think I should.

Hope that helps!

Heather Tomlinson

Certified Librarian