[library-media] Greetings and Recommendation

Fawn Morgan fmorgan at dsdmail.net
Fri Dec 18 08:43:44 MST 2009

Librarians

Monday I was invited to participate in a workshop conducted by Sharyl Smith and Mike Eisenberg, gurus in the field of school libraries.  We discussed a nationwide trend to change the name of our program to Library and Information Technology.  I like the new acronym LIT as it reminds me of the second tenant of our mission as librarians, reading advocacy.  If you are lucky enough to get a Barnes and Noble or Borders gift certificate for Christmas you'll want to buy the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett.  It is a powerful vision of life in the 60s in Jackson, Mississippi during the struggle for civil rights.  It is told from the viewpoint of black maids living in houses of whites, cooking their food, raising their children but treated as second class citizens.  Judy Larson at Woods Cross first recommended it to me so thanks to Judy!

Merry Christmas
Fawn
Layton High Library