[library-media] Cataloging

Caryn McGinty mcgintyc at grandschools.org
Thu Dec 10 14:11:38 MST 2009

Just wanted to write in response to the following question proposed by
Marney's question (posted below):

I get MARC records in a variety of ways. For example:

Some newer books - especially those marketed to libraries - contain the
information on the copyright page, usually a little more than halfway
down. They suggest the subject headings, call number and summary. I love
those publishers.

Many companies that sell to libraries also sell (or give away) MARC
records. Follett/Titlewave, for example, offers them for 11 cents per
book. I think Permabound offers them for free.

Many circulation programs also have a ZMARC (Z39.50) feature which
allows you to download MARC records from a variety of libraries for
free. I usually search first by ISBN number (so I know the edition is
the same as the one in my hand) and, if that doesn't work, then by
title/author. We use Sagebrush here and it allows you to do that, but I
think it's a fairly common feature. You can often find it under the
cataloging tab (if your program has one). Or ask customer support and
they can talk you through it. I had to manually add a bunch of libraries
before it would search their catalogs, and for that I definitely needed
guidance from customer support.*

When those methods don't work and I still need MARC records I can
usually find them online. My go-to place is the Follett/Titlewave site
at http://www.flr.follett.com/login. I think you might need an account
to use their system, but it's free to set up and there's no obligation
(or, as far as I can tell, spam). You will see a heading called "New to
Titlewave?" on the right-hand side, near the top. Just click to set up
an account. From there you can search for book titles, authors, etc.
Click on the book cover and it will give you the subject headings,
suggested call number, summary, etc.*

If you can't find it on Follett you may be able to find the book in
other libraries' catalogs. The Library of Congress catalog is at
http://catalog.loc.gov/. Salt Lake City's library system is online at
https://catalog.slcpl.org/. *

I probably shouldn't admit this, but when all else fails I'll either
find a similar title in our own catalog or on Titlewave and use the
suggested call number and subject headings for the current book. The
rest - title, summary, etc. - I'll do by hand, based on the book itself.

I think that there are also companies out there that you can pay to do
this sort of thing, but if you're short on money it might be worth doing
this by hand.

*Please note: For the methods ending in an asterisk you'll want to look
carefully to be sure that the edition of the book is the same as what
you have. If, for example, you accidentally rely on info for the audio
book or movie instead of the book then you may end up with inaccurate
records after all.

As for getting these done, you could consider training a reliable (and
detail-oriented) parent volunteer, if you have some at your school.

Hope that helps.

Caryn
Grand County High School
Moab, UT

Marney's question:

"How on earth does anybody ever get all those books entered into the
system and shelf-ready in a timely manner?  Am I missing a shortcut?  Is
there a magic fix known only to library science majors?  Where do I turn
for help in finding solutions to predicaments like these?  If you guys
out there in Library Land have any suggestions, I am ready to read and
learn."