[library-media] Brain Power 2 - cataloging

Kim Hanson khanson at btsb.com
Tue Dec 8 14:10:50 MST 2009

Cindy,
If I may weigh in on this as someone who sees alot of schools, cataloging should provide the patrons with the ability to find what they are looking for.  I have seen much over my years from one library who only included the title and author to having too much information.  In my first years selling books, there was a great deal of issue with mini MARC records being provided from most of the publisher reps and wholesalers.  At that time the issue was whether a vendor was creating their own records that stayed with strict policies having the records created by a librarian they had on staff.  Now I find most vendors have very good records that allow the OPAC to guide the patron to what they are looking for.  I don't think MARC records are an issue to being a "perfect librarian" unless they are creating their own and only putting in basic information.  With all the tools available online and through quality vendors, MARC records should be available and easily imported to the circulation system with little time or effort.

Kim Hanson
Mountain Division Sales Manager
Bound To Stay Bound Books
800-637-6586, ext 3539
217-370-9953 cell phone
khanson at btsb.com

>>> Cindy Mitchell <cindy.mitchell at jordan.k12.ut.us> 12/8/2009 1:48:24 PM >>>

Ok * I have seven pages of information to read through * thank you for your input on an organized library.  Here is the next topic of discussion:

Cataloging * what does cataloging have to do with being the best librarian with the best library?  What standards should you be held to, do you hold yourself to?  What does bad cataloging look like, what does examplary cataloging look like?

Don’t worry * when I have read through all of the ORGANIZED pages, I will tell you the kinds of things everyone suggested too. Right now I need to digest!

-- Cindy Mitchell
South Jordan Middle School
10245 S 2700 W
South Jordan UT 84095